General FAQ


What are your hours of operation? 

City facilities are open Monday - Thursday, from 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. We are CLOSED every Friday and on the weekends.


Do I need a permit to build a wall/fence? 



How can I arrange for City facilities rental? 
The Community Centers, Senior Center, and certain picnic areas are available for rental.  Call (323) 887-4540 to reserve the facility.  Fees for rentals vary, depending on location. 


How can I contact the Mayor or City Council members? 
You may call the City Clerks Office at (323) 887-1363, Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.


How can I file a claim against the City? 
Claims forms can be obtained in the City Administrative Offices in City Hall, 1600 W. Beverly Blvd., Montebello, CA, Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please call (323) 887-1363 during business hours for more information.


How can I find out about the City’s job opportunities? 
All current open recruitments can be found under the Careers section of Human Resources at the following link: 


How can I find out the zoning of a particular property and what the property can be used for? 
Call the Planning Division at (323) 887-1478, or visit the Planning Division at City Hall, 1600 W. Beverly Blvd., Montebello, CA, Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.


How can I get information about the Montebello Bus Lines schedule? 
You can call the Transportation Customer Service Line at (323) 558-1625 or visit


How can I get information on classes offered by the City’s Park & Recreation Division? 
Call the Parks & Recreation Department at (323) 887-4540 or access information by clicking “Departments and Parks & Recreation” on this website. 


How long does the plan check process take? 
Typically, the plan check process takes about 4 weeks.  Plans are first submitted to the Building & Safety Division.  The Building & Safety Division will retain a set for their review.  The remaining sets will be distributed to other City departments for their review. 


How many residential units can I construct on my property? 
Because different zones allow for different building densities, the number of units you can construct depends on the zoning district in which your property is classified.  It also depends on the size of the property.  Call the Planning Division at 323-887-1478 for more detailed information.


How tall can I build a fence/wall on my property? 
A wall/fence constructed within the back or side yards of residentially zoned properties cannot exceed six feet in height. A solid wall and fence constructed in the front yard cannot exceed three feet in height.  A maximum height of six feet is allowed if at least 50 percent of the wall is constructed with decorative wrought iron. 


I received a public notice with information about a public hearing for a planned project near my house, how can I obtain information about the project? 
You may obtain information by calling (323) 887-1478, Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or you may come to the Planning Division counter and request to review the file or plans for the project. If you wish to provide public testimony on the proposed project you should attend the public hearing or submit written documentation to the Planning Division prior to the hearing date.


If I have a building that does not comply with today’s zoning standards on my property, can I rebuild the building if it has been damaged or destroyed? 
Yes. The building may be rebuilt if the costs of repairs are less than 37% of the current fair market value of the building, not including land.  However, if the cost of repairs exceeds 37% of fair market value, then the building will have to be built to conform to the current zoning, building, and fire codes. 


If I want to construct an addition to my house, what are the setback requirements? 
The setbacks may vary depending on the location of the property.  Typically, the following are the required yard setbacks: front yard 20 feet; side yard 5 feet; and rear yard 10 feet.  Call the Planning Division at 323-887-1478, Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., for more detailed information.


If I want to start a home based business, what kinds of business can I operate and what are the applicable regulations that I need to be aware of? 
Home-based businesses are restricted to office type, low-impact uses only. Your home may not function as a retail shop, be used to store materials, or operate mechanical equipment other than that necessary for housekeeping purposes.  In order to start a business, a business license application is required.  An additional sheet signed by the property owner is required if you are a tenant.  The application may be picked up at the Planning Counter or Finance Department located in the west wing of City Hall at 1600 W. Beverly Blvd. You can also apply for a Business License online at


My vehicle has been stored or impounded.  How can I obtain a release? 
Vehicle releases are available Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Montebello Police Department Records Bureau (323) 887-1225. The party requesting the release must show the current vehicle registration and a valid California Driver’s License at the Records window.  


What is the fee for a vehicle release?

For stored vehicles: $223.00
Impounded or Suspended License/30 day hold: $223.00
DUI $223.00



Note: Cash or credit cards ONLY accepted—no checks. 


What should my first step be if I want to start a business in Montebello? 

Before signing any leases or moving in, check with the Planning Division to see if the type of business is permitted.  Some businesses that may have the potential to impact the area require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP). An application for a CUP is typically a 3-4 month process in which operational impacts are analyzed by the Planning staff and are then subject to Planning Commission approval or denial.  


What type of construction materials can I use? 
The following materials are allowed for any wall that is visible from the public right-of-way: slump-stone, split-face or similar.  If cinder blocks are used, the wall must be treated with stucco.  The following materials are not permitted in the residential zones: barbed, pointed, chain link, spiked, razor, or piercing materials. 


Where can I file a police report? 
There are several methods of filing a police report:

  • The online reporting module on the Police Department’s webpage.
  • By placing a call for service to the Police Department:
    1. For emergencies, call 9-1-1
    2. For non-emergency services, call (323) 887-1313

Where can I get recycling information and trash hauling information?
Visit our Streets Division webpage for information about recycling, trash, and street sweeping contact list. 


Where can I obtain a copy of a police report?

Copies of certain police reports are available Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Closed on Sundays) at the Montebello Police Department Records Bureau (323) 887-1225.  There is a $10.00 charge for a copy of a report. Copies of certain reports can be obtained online at


How can I file a public records request?  
Requests for public documents are handled through the City Clerk's Offices. Please visit the City Clerk's Record Request webpage. 


Where can I report a problem with a tree? 
Call the Tree Division at (323) 887-1460 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to report the problem.  The tree division handles diseased trees, tree planning, tree removal, tree trimming. 


Where can I report graffiti for removal?
The City of Montebello has a 24 hour graffiti hotline at (877) 444-6044.  Please leave your name, address, and phone number with area code as well as a detailed description of where the graffiti is located (ex: curb, sidewalk, wall, etc.)


Where can I report items that need attention in our City parks? 
Call the Recreation Main Office at (323) 887-4540 to report broken play apparatus, broken sprinklers, restroom repairs and general park maintenance concerns. 


Where do I call to report problems with pot holes, sidewalk repairs, sign replacement, street sweeping or weed abatement?   
Call the Street Division at (323) 887-1460. Or download the FREE "My Montebello" App to report an issue within the City. Available for iPhone and Android devices. 


Where do I go to get a building permit for a fence/wall, and how long will it take? 
First step is visit the Planning Division counter at City Hall to discuss your proposal.  Please bring along a preliminary site plan/plot plan that shows the general shape and dimensions of your property, any adjacent street(s), and the locations of all existing buildings and structures on the property.  Also, highlight the areas where the fence/wall will be located.  Generally a permit for a fence/wall can be pulled the same day as long as you have a clear idea of what you want to build.  Walls that are less than three feet in height do not require a building permit. 


Where is Montebello’s nearest hospital located? 
Beverly Hospital is located at 309 W. Beverly Boulevard, Montebello, California.  


When can I host a garage  or yard sale? 
Yard sales are permitted during the first weekend of March, June, September, and December. For a current list of dates, please visit the Yard Sale webpage. 


Who do I call if I have a dispute with my tenant (or landlord) and I need assistance in knowing what my rights are? 
Call the Economic Development Department at 323-887-1394 or come by City Hall located at 1600 West Beverly Boulevard.  Their office hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and closed on Friday.


Who do I call if I have a dispute with a neighbor over a property line? 
You should retain a land surveyor to identify the precise location of the disputed property line.  If the dispute continues, it is considered a civil matter and may require the assistance of an attorney.


Who do I call to report illegal business activities in a home or garage? 
Call the Code Enforcement Division at 323-887-1490, Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!

Sign in to your account