Complaint Information


Inoperable and Abandoned Vehicles

Vehicles that are left abandoned, dismantled, or wrecked including vehicles with missing engine parts, flat tires, or have expired registration, including Planned Non-Operational from D.M.V. are considered inoperable when they are located in the public view. Code Enforcement encourages residents to either repair their inoperable vehicles, obtain current registration or store within the enclosed garage.

Parking on the Front Lawn
In an effort to keep the residential neighborhoods looking attractive, the Montebello Municipal Code requires that all vehicles be parked within a garage, carport or upon an approved paved driveway.

Trash and Debris
Disposing of unused items including lumber, junk, trash or debris is important in maintaining a clean community and it also eliminates the attraction of insects and rodents.

Landscape Maintenance
The removal of weeds, dead trees and/or dying vegetation can eliminate an unsightly appearance to the property and it protects the health and safety of the general public.

Refrigerators and Neglected Household Equipment
When refrigerators, freezers, stoves, and similar household equipment are left outside they present a temptation for children to play in them. The danger of suffocation can be minimized by storing these items within a secure structure and locking the appliance door in a shut position with a chain and lock or by facing the appliance to the wall so the door cannot be opened.

Please contact Code Enforcement immediately if a refrigerator or similar household equipment is observed being stored outside.

Storing Refuse
Storing household garbage in waterproof containers with tight fitting lids will promote a healthy living environment for you and your neighbors. Additionally, providing sufficient trash service and storing trash cans out of the public view, except on trash pickup day, will promote a healthy and attractive environment throughout the City.

Abandoned/Unsecured Structures
Abandoned structures that are left unsecured will often times be an easy target for attracting criminal and malicious behavior. If you observe a structure that has broken and/or missing windows and doors, please contact Code Enforcement immediately.

Peeling Paint
It is important to paint your structure whenever you see peeling and/or missing paint to eliminate the possibility of dry rot and termite infestation and to keep your building looking attractive.

Substandard Housing
The Uniform Housing Code regulates buildings to ensure they are maintained in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition for occupancy. For example, if you are a property owner or manager, it is important to immediately repair dysfunctional heating, plumbing, and electrical equipment upon notification by your tenant or when simply observing the substandard conditions.

Unpermitted Structures, Alterations and Additions
Before constructing, renovating or altering a structure, it is important to contact the  Building Division  to verify if a building permit is needed. For instance, permits are required prior to the installation of new windows including retrofit, doors, walls, roofs, electrical outlets and wiring, plumbing lines and fixtures, water heaters, and new heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems. The benefit of obtaining a permit is to verify that before a building or addition is constructed, it complies with front, side and rear yard setbacks and does not encroach onto another property. The permit will also initiate building inspections to reduce the potential hazards of unsafe construction and alterations.



Although it is a goal of the City to be responsive to the needs of the community, there are some neighborhood problems that do not fall under our jurisdiction. In general, the City acts on behalf of the public at large - we do not take action on behalf of one citizen against another. In other words, we do not handle neighbor disputes or civil problems that do not violate public law.

The following are not enforced by the City of Montebello Enforcement Division as they are considered civil issues for which the City has no jurisdiction:

  • Property line disputes;
  • Drainage between properties (unless governed by a drainage easement);
  • Tree roots or trees on private property that overhang or encroach upon a neighboring private property, or cause damage to a neighboring private property; and
  • Blocking of private views.
  • Parking on public streets (i.e. neighbors/visitors parking in front of your residence)

The following is a partial list of violations and issues that do not fall under Code Enforcement's jurisdiction:

  • Emergency and Traffic related issues (In an emergency call 911. For non-emergencies, call the Police Department at 323-887-1313)
  • Most animal related issues (contact Animal Control - SEAACA at 562-803-3301)
  • Loud parties and/or noisy neighbors (contact the Police Department at 323-887-1313)
  • Leaking faucets, vermin, mold and general housing maintenance issues for multi-family units (contact the Los Angeles Department of Public Health, Environmental Health at 562-345-6830)
  • Health and/or cleanliness issues related to restaurants (contact the Los Angeles Department of Public Health, Food Bureau at 323-780-2272).
  • Air quality issues (contact AQMD at 800-288-7664)
  • Safety issues involving people without housing or living out of cars (contact the Police Department at 323-887-1313)

Should you need assistance and are unsure if Code Enforcement would be the proper Division to assist you, please feel free to give us a call at (323) 887-1490. We will be happy to answer your questions and refer you to the proper Department or Agency.


Don't have an account yet? Register Now!

Sign in to your account